Tuesday, April 28, 2009

No hugs from me!

Bill, Lynne, Bobb, Barbara, Will, Edgar, Jim, Ray, Andy

It was a busy weekend for this week's rather exclusive gathering, so early conversation explored what everyone had been up to.
Most had been to the Vitaphone Varieties at the Billy Wilder theater on Wilshire on Saturday night, which seems to have been a fascinating show. There are apparently hundreds of 1920s variety acts recorded on film, in one take just as if in performance, leaving an amazing record of a bygone era. The lassoist who kept the rope spinning for ten minutes seemed to impress most. Mary Mallory says he was Tex McLeod, a Texan with a Scottish father and a Brazilian mother. I expect he was fond of a shot of whisky in his coffee...
Lynne, Will and I went with Nancy to her condo in the Colorado mountains, which involved 36 hours' driving but the reward was spectacular scenery and two trips to Peggy Sue's 50s diner in Yermo CA. The purpose was to attend an amateur melodrama in the 1890s village of Silver Plume, to help raise funds to keep the original buildings standing. In between we managed a stroll round the delightful ski town of Frisco and took turns to stand in the one-time jail.
Jim and Mary Katherine went to the UCLA book fair, which I think Mary Mallory was intending to go to as well (let me know if you did, Mary). Gore Vidal told one hopeful "If you have to ask how to write you're not a writer", but Jim got Joe Wambaugh to autograph his latest crime novel with the message "Give Ian my best wishes".
While I was wishing I could have been in three places at once over the weekend, Barbara led calls for a Conrads wish list - things we'd like to see on the menu, like caffeine-free diet coke, sprite and root beer (Barbara) and veggie curry, chilli and moussaca (Edgar, Will, Lynne).
Meanwhile, Edgar and I quietly speculated on how a Mexican-run diner like Conrads will survive the swine flu epidemic, if it really takes hold. Monday nights might even have to move. Let's hope not.
Last week I ran a 'Caught on the Breeze' about not hugging except during sex - which, not entirely coincidentally, chimes with a remark Ian made to Barbara about not having to hug during his recent theatrical run (on the contrary, he was complaining that the actors snubbed him and the rest of the band).
But that got Barbara asking everyone whether they liked being hugged. The answers were varied, and not entirely enthusiastic. Maybe no one wanted to advertise - as it was I said I didn't mind and suddenly found Ray grasping me from behind warmly by the throat. It's all right, Ray, don't feel obliged to hug me, I won't hold it against you - or at least, I'll try not to.
We decided it was a class thing, with people from humble backgrounds and/or from the north of their homelands being less likely to hug than affluent southerners. All theories on a postcard, please.
Jim has not yet been able to see Phil Spector in jail yet, as visits are strictly rationed, but he has heard from Rachelle that he is being treated well and his 23 hours a day solitary confinement are regularly broken up by visits from his lawyers. Hate to think how he'll feel if he gets an 18 stretch and the appeal fails, though.

CAUGHT ON THE BREEZE
I'm thinking of doing a popup version of Fart Book 3
Did you know that Dietrich = diet rich?
Yes, and Therapist = the rapist
I know Howdy Doody's birthday
They didn't have to wear a whole lot of make up in those days - men or women
The magic period lasted only that long
Rock Hudson had all these wild parties up from where I lived, then I realized everyone there were men
Cliff can't be gay - he tours with Helen Shapiro!

1 comment:

billkay said...

I pass on this message from Professor Libby Goold, Egregious Professor of Huggology at the Obama Department of Touchy-Feely in Occidental College, says: "While the Italians, Greeks etc hug more than the standoffish Saxons, Scots and Scandinavians, it is generally among family members not casual acquaintances. Middle class Italians and French start giving the biz on each others' cheeks on the third meeting, which seems a bit hasty even then. Moving swiftly across the globe, Hawaiian adults don't hug each other v much coz too hot, but cuddle babies. Nepalis never touch, but they too are in constant touch with their babies either holding them or bearing them on their backs. Well, somebody's back.
Gosh, you were never hugged as a child? I don't know what to say - seems rather impossible, coz I'm sure you were a cute chubby-cheeked little bundle... but I digress.
As the eldest of four we all either hugged or hit with equal abandon. The whole family hugged all our lives.